THE ONLY LICENSED TREATMENT FOR THE REDUCTION IN RECURRENCE OF OVERT HEPATIC ENCEPHALOPATHY (OHE) IN PATIENTS ≥ 18 YEARS 1
When should XIFAXAN® be prescribed?
|When to initiate XIFAXAN®||How long should XIFAXAN® be prescribed?|
|After the first OHE episode to reduce the risk of further episodes. 1||Expert clinical opinion suggests that people may continue to use XIFAXAN® until death or until liver transplant. 2|
How should you prescribe XIFAXAN®? 1
- Licensed dose: 550 mg (one tablet) twice a day.
- Each tablet contains 550 mg rifaximin-α.
- XIFAXAN® can be administered with or without food.
- No dosage adjustment needed in elderly patients and patients with renal or hepatic insufficiency.
- Use with caution in patients with severe hepatic impairment and in patients with MELD (Model for End-Stage Liver Disease) score >25.
- Use with caution in patients with impaired renal function.
XIFAXAN® Tolerability 1
Common adverse reactions are dizziness, headache, depression, dyspnoea, upper abdominal pain, abdominal distension, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, ascites, rashes, pruritus, muscle spasms, arthralgia and peripheral oedema.1